Medical marijuana patients are living through a revolutionary time in terms of cannabis innovation and science. With an array of CBD products already on the market, many of which you have probably heard of, including CBD oil, CBD capsules, CBD vape oil, CBD topicals, and CBD gummies, there seems to be no limit on the production of CBD items. Most recently, we have seen the introduction of marijuana and hemp CBD syrups.
CBD syrups are growing rapidly in popularity, especially among young consumers who are using it to replace a similar but dangerous drink, known as Lean (a.k.a purple drink or sizzurp). Lean is a combination of soft drinks, prescription-strength cough medicine, and hard, fruit-flavored candy. The prescription cough syrups that are used to make Lean drink are the most dangerous because the very often contain codeine, which is an opioid drug.
This is where CBD syrup comes in. CBD products are an easy and effective way to get medical relief. They’re medicinal, therapeutic, absolutely non-lethal, and they don’t have any adverse side effects. As a simple and natural alternative, CBD syrup can treat a variety of problems and conditions, like inflammation, anxiety, insomnia, seizures, and opiate withdrawal from substances like codeine. Let’s take a close look at this CBD concoction, like what it is, how it became so popular, and when to use it.
What is CBD Syrup?
As the name suggests, CBD syrup is a syrup-like substance that is infused with CBD. It’s typically designed to work well as a mixer or alternatively to be taken straight out of the bottle. It comes in a variety of concentrations. You can simply pour the desired amount of CBD into a beverage of your choice, usually a fruity-flavored carbonated soda, like Fanta or Sprite, and add some ice cream to mix it up if you like. The other option is to drink it straight out of the bottle – just as is.
While most patients prefer to dilute it, as they find that to be the easiest method of consumption, others just ingest the syrup as you would any other liquid medicine. You can also get creative and add it to a joint or even vaporize it.
CBD syrup is quickly becoming the healthy alternative to Lean. Lean, the infamous codeine concoction, was made popular by rappers like Lil Wayne and Three 6 Mafia, whose top hit “Sippin on Some Sizzurp” made the drink more socially acceptable. The idea is to get somewhat of a “high.”
However, promethazine codeine can be dangerous, or sometimes even deadly, when abused. In fact, Lil Wayne has been hospitalized multiple times for drinking too much of the concoction. He can just feel lucky that worse hasn’t happened.
With the decreasing popularity of Lean, CBD syrups are starting to fill the void and are fast gaining momentum, especially within the Hip Hop community. But before we go any further, we are in no way making a direct correlation between codeine “Lean” drinks and CBD syrups when it comes to the effects on the body.
CBD is one of the most harmless and beneficial substances on the market. The exact opposite can be said of Lean. CBD syrup is a healthier and much safer alternative, but it still provides the same familiar ingestion method, as well as some of the calming and sedating effects that users are looking for.
CBD vs. THC Syrup
Cannabis products that are rich in CBD are generally more relaxing and calming than THC and offer significant medical benefits without the intense “stoned” sensation that is associated with THC.
CBD syrup is typically used to calm the mind and treat conditions like anxiety, depression, and insomnia. While THC, as a compound, offers significant health benefits of its own, it’s typically used more for recreational purposes since THC will make the user high.
There are some companies who are producing syrup products that contain a mixture of both CBD and THC. Different ratios of each compound will have different effects, so if you go for one of these, it’s important that you experience in small doses until you find which one works for you.
When to Use CBD Syrup
CBD has been touted to have a number of potential therapeutic benefits. From working as a pain reliever to it’s an anti-anxiety and anti-inflammatory properties, and the potential to treat epilepsy, skin diseases, and even cancer, the medicinal effects that are linked to CBD are almost endless.
When it comes to CBD syrup specifically, here are some of the popular reasons to use it:
- Improve appetite: According to the National Cancer Institute, CBD has the potential to stimulate the appetite. Research has shown that CBD binds to cannabinoid receptors in the body and scientists believe that these receptors play an important part in regulating appetite. Thus, CBD is thought to stimulate the appetite whenever it binds to these receptors.
- Relieve pain: One of the most well-known health benefits associated with CBD is it’s potential to work as a pain reliever. Studies have shown that CBD can help to reduce chronic pain by working with our endocannabinoid receptor activity, thereby reducing inflammation and interacting with neurotransmitters.
- Reduce stress and improve mood: CBD syrup helps to reduce stress and improve the mood by naturally and gently calming your overactive mind. CBD syrup can help you to feel more relaxed, peaceful, and in control.
- Insomnia: Since CBD is so effective in relaxing the mind, it can also be a great option for treating insomnia. Very often, the reason that people struggle to sleep is because of stress and an overactive mind. By helping to calm the mind, CBD syrup could be very effective in treating insomnia.
- Anxiety: Research has found that CBD could be very effective in treating anxiety. It has effects on the brain that could have a profound effect on cognition and memory. In this way, CBD could help to treat the irrational thinking patterns that are associated with anxiety, among other conditions.
Final Thoughts on CBD Syrup
CBD syrup is gaining a lot of traction in the CBD market, and in no time at all we are bound to see multiple brands adding the product to their collection of CBD products. Always be sure to do your research before you make any purchase. You want to ensure that the brand is legitimate and that you are getting a high-quality and effective product.