Koi CBD started back in 2015 when the founders recognized a recurring problem that was becoming all too rampant within the cannabis industry; that due to lack of standardization, it was incredibly difficult to try and find a quality, pure CBD product that would work in the way medical studies claimed it would.
They tried and tested dozens of different products, and to them it was inherently clear that the market was “flooded” with substandard products that contained either no CBD at all, or contained amounts that were a far cry from the percentage that was listed on the label.
As such, they set out with a singular goal in mind: to (as they put it) “help as many people as possible” by manufacturing a CBD extract with full traceability – from the raw material, to the testing laboratory, and all the way to the finished and packaged bottle.
We only recently came across Koi CBD after trying one of their vape oils (of all things), and after experiencing first hand the quality and potency of the oil, decided to try out some of their edibles and oral CBD tinctures as well.
Koi CBD Quick Summary
“Absolutely LOVE the CBD spray for dogs - could never get my schnauzer to swallow a regular oil, but now I just spray it on her wet dog food and it's super simple. THANK you!”
Who Is Koi CBD?
Koi CBD is actually headquartered in the United Kingdom (Hungerford, Berkshire, to be exact), but they also have operating offices in southern California, between Los Angeles and Anaheim. They source their raw hemp material from organic farms in southern Colorado, where the constant high-elevation sunlight and icy fresh waters of the Rio Grande serve as the perfect naturally-producing hemp environment.
After cultivation, the raw CBD hemp material is sent off to a pharmaceutical grade cGMP certified extraction facility, which uses supercritical CO2 methods to produce some of the purest, highest-quality extracts in the industry.
Once the CBD extract is in-house, it is then used to as the foundation for the entire range of CBD-infused products – from the standard oral CBD oils to the vape liquids, gummies/edibles, and even the pet products. After each batch of individual products are made, they are then sent back out for third-party testing, where there are certified for safety, purity, and CBD content. Like we said – one of the only brands in the industry whose process you can trace from start to finish.
Koi CBD Highlights
Of course, their transparency and product traceability is probably the thing that stands out the most to us in terms of what makes Koi CBD a special brand. Aside from that, though, they have developed a truly unique presence in the cannabis industry, and (in our opinion) have some of the best-tasting tinctures and CBD vape liquids on the market.
Honestly, I am not a big “vaper,” but I will say that I own a portable vaporizer (as well as a vape pen), and I’ve got to say that Koi’s CBD e-liquid just sometimes hits the spot moreso than an oral tincture does when it comes to my sporadic migraines. Here are several of the things that stand out to us most about the brand:
- Proprietary CBD vape juices. Again, I’m not a huge vaper but I’ve never experienced better results with a CBD vape juice for general pain relief than I have with Koi’s products. I really like the 500mg Raspberry Dragon Fruit flavor, and just use it in a cheap SMOK TFV4 cartridge with an iStick Power battery, but they’re made to be used universally in any oil/e-liquid vaporizer or vape pen. (Also, you can actually use the CBD vape oils orally as well – see below).
- 100% THC free. Most top-shelf CBD oils contain at least traces of THC (usually less than 0.3%), but Koi’s tinctures are 100% THC-free, meaning no failed drug tests whatsoever.
- Vape liquids can be used either orally or in a vaporizer. Like we just mentioned, the Koi CBD Vape Juice can actually be taken under the tongue orally, as well as being used in any vape device. This is perfect for people like myself who actually incorporate both methods into my therapeutic routine, as now I don’t have to go out and spend money on two separate products.
- Lab results available online under each product description. Even though the majority of high quality CBD companies offer proof of lab testing, it can be hard to get an actual report from them – let alone for each individual product. Koi CBD on the other hand has a link on each one of their product description pages, that takes you directly to the third party lab results. Also, they use SC Labs which is arguably one of the best and most renowned analytics laboratories on the West Coast.
- Full-spectrum cannabinoids. In addition to the potent amounts of CBD that are present, all full-spectrum Koi CBD oils also contain functional amounts of CBDV and CBG. When all three are combined together, studies have shown that the therapeutic effects are much stronger than when CBD is taken alone as an isolate.
- Lifetime military veteran discount. If you are a U.S. military veteran, Koi CBD offers a 25% lifetime discount on all their products – that’s an offer that’s truly hard to beat, especially for such high-quality oils.
If I could think of one negative aspect about Koi CBD, it would be the fact that it’s kind of confusing to figure out how much of the CBD vape liquid to use in the vaporizer. I was under the assumption that you simply fill up your cartridge full and then start vaping, but this is not really the recommended method.
Rather, since the e-liquids are a little more viscous (thicker and more syrupy) than regular vape oils (this is so you can take them orally as well), it’s recommended that you “cut” them with a preferred e-liquid in order to maximizes efficiency. You can use them on your own, but my fear is that the heating coils are not being maximized so in the end you lose a little bit of potency.
“I take the 500mg vape oil under my tongue for daily arthritis pain, and use it in my vaporizer if I'm having a particularly rough day. Seems to be more potent when inhaled through the vaporizer.”
My Personal Experience with Koi CBD
Like I said earlier, I’ve used the Koi 500mg CBD vape oil to great success for my sporadic migraines. It’s funny because I typically will take a normal oral (under the tongue) CBD oil twice a day every single day, but they are kind of hit or miss when it comes to these severe headaches that pop up. Two or three solid puffs of the portable vaporizer with the 500mg CBD juice, though, and they’re usually gone within 10 minutes.
I’ve also used the actual sublingual oils as well, but have mostly been sticking with my 600mg Pure Kana tincture for daily use. If you like to use both oral tinctures and “vape-able” CBD liquids, then honestly the Koi CBD vape oils an amazing option.
In addition to the oral CBD tincture and the vape oils, Koi CBD also currently sells an array of vape-specific products, CBD pet products, Tropical Fusion Gummies, and a topical Lavender CBD moisturizer/ointment. Here is the current product lineup, though please be advised that availability of all products is not guaranteed:
- Koi Naturals Oral CBD Oils: These are the standard sublingual (under the tongue) oils that you take orally – NOT made for vaping devices. They come in four flavors (Lemon Lime, Natural, Orange and Spearmint), two sizes (30mL or 60mL), and three different potencies (250mg, 500mg, or 1,000mg).
- Koi Naturals CBD Vape Cartridge: This is a 250mg natural hemp flavor vaping cartridge to be used with a 380mAh battery.
- Koi CBD Vape Juice: These are probably the trademark of the Koi CBD lineup; 30mL bottles of potent CBD oil that can be used either as a vape liquid or as an oil tincture. Six flavors available (Blue Raspberry Dragon Fruit, Red Strawberry Milkshake, Gold Vanilla Caramel Custard, White (flavorless), Jade Watermelon Green Apple Sour, Pink Lemonade) in four different potencies (100mg, 250mg, 500mg, or 1,000mg). Also available in a 5-count Koi Variety Pack where you can choose 5 different flavors and mix-n-match them with different potencies.
- Koi Stik/Koi CBD Pods: This is a super affordable proprietary CBD vape pen that you can buy separate Pods for – choose one of the six different flavors, fill up the Pod with oil, pop it in the Koi Stik, and you’re good to go.
- Envii Fitt CBD Vaporizer: This is another portable CBD vaporizer option, just a little bit more powerful than the Koi Stik. Comes with re-fillable 3.2mL cartridges for convenience.
- Koi CBD Soft Chews for Pets: These 100% non-GMO, veterinarian-formulated soft dog treats come in a pack of 25, with eat treat containing roughly 2.5mg of CBD. They are chicken and bacon-flavored, so trying to get your dog to eat them should not be an issue. For small dogs (under 25 lbs) 1-2 treats per day are recommended; medium-sized dogs (25-75 lbs) 2-3 treats per day; and large dogs (70+ lbs) 3-4 treats per day.
- Koi Naturals CBD Spray for Pets: Designed to try and make it more convenient to give CBD to your dog (have you ever tried to get a dog to swallow an oil hemp tincture?), this potent veterinarian-formulated CBD spray is designed to spray directly on top of your dog’s food, or (if they let you), directly into their mouth. It comes in a 60mL spray bottle and contains 500mg of full-spectrum CBD hemp extract. Dosing recommendations are as follows: Small dogs (Under 15 lbs): 1–2 sprays per day; Medium-sized dogs(15 – 40 lbs): 2–3 sprays per day; Large dogs (40 -75 lbs): 3–4 sprays per day; X-Large dogs (75+ LBS): 4+ sprays per day
- Koi CBD Tropical Gummies: Unlike most CBD edibles which are simply sprayed topically with a liquid CBD mixture, Koi gummies are actually rolled and mixed directly in with the CBD extract, guaranteeing a consistency in dosage. They come in packs of 20 with 5mg of CBD per gummy, and are available in either natural or sour flavors (packs are mix and matched with lime, tangerine, and acai pomegranate flavors).
Lavender Koi CBD Lotion: Containing 200mg of CBD in a 4.25 oz bottle, the Koi Lavender CBD lotion has been used to treat skin conditions like eczema, as well as mild arthritic and muscle conditions for acute pain relief. The lavender and organic aloe and coconut extracts also make it an incredibly soothing cream that can be used all over the hands, body, or face for therapeutic moisturizing.
- Koi Naturals Oral CBD Oils: Prices range from $39.99 to $249.99 depending on size (30mL or 60mL) and potency (250mg, 500mg, or 1,000mg)
- Koi Naturals CBD Vape Cartridge: $49.99 (or $64.99 with battery included)
- Koi CBD Vape Juice: Prices range from $29.99 to $99.99 depending on potency (100mg, 250mg, 500mg, or 1,000mg). All Koi CBD vape oils come in 30mL size
- Koi Stik/Koi CBD Pods: $16.99 for the Koi Stik by itself (comes with 1 empty pod and 1 empty 30mL bottle for refilling vape liquids), or $8.99 for 2 empty Koi Pods (have to buy the CBD vape juice separately)
- Envii Fitt CBD Vaporizer: $44.99 for the complete kit (comes with vaporizer, one 50mg Koi Blue Fitt pod, and a micro USB charger), or $21.99 for a 2-pack of Fitt Pods (available in six different Koi vape oil flavors)
- Koi CBD Soft Chews for Pets: $29.99 for a bag of 20
- Koi Naturals CBD Spray for Pets: $59.99 for a 60mL, 500mg spray bottle
- Koi CBD Tropical Gummies: $29.99 for a pack of 20 gummies (approx. 5mg each)
- Lavender Koi CBD Lotion: $44.99 for a 4.25 oz bottle with 200mg of infused CBD extract
All in all, I would recommend Koi CBD products for people who like to use both CBD vape oils and the traditional oil tinctures. In all honesty if you’ve become accustomed to buying both products separately (as I have over the past two years or so), their CBD vape liquids could potentially save you hundreds of dollars a month.
Also, I haven’t had a chance to try them yet but I absolutely love the idea of the CBD dog spray. I’ve used CBD oil for my dogs in the past and let me tell you – it is NO fun trying to get them to eat it. So the thought of being able to spray it right on their food is absolutely brilliant. Will definitely be trying that one in the near future.
[You can check out the entire Koi CBD product range by visiting KoiCBD.com – though be advised that some of the vaping products were Out of Stock at the time of writing].