The lack of any real regulation in the CBD-based product industry has led to a lot of consumer uncertainty. Therefore, it’s important as a consumer to research and evaluate these companies before purchasing products from them. For some, it may seem risky to buy CBD products in an unregulated market. However, the good news is that there are several reputable and trustworthy brands out there. These market leaders continue to strive for excellence and adhere to the strictest of safety standards.
One such company is The Original Alternative (formerly known as CBD Brothers), who is a respected brand leader in the United Kingdom. The company’s motto is “health over wealth.” On their website, they state that they attribute their success to their love, passion, and belief in the benefits of cannabis.
In recent times, The Original Alternative’s products are becoming increasingly popular in the U.S. and Europe. If you are looking for high-quality CBD products, then this brand is worth checking out. But what do they bring to the table?
The Original Alternative Quick Summary
“I have been purchasing products from The Original Alternative since the middle of 2018 and am very pleased with their Blue Edition. It works really well for treating my anxiety.”
The Original Alternative Review: The Company Behind the Name
The company was previously known as CBD Brothers but now trades under the name “The Original Alternative.” They initially started as a small mail service operating from a single garage. They have grown significantly and are now the longest trading CBD company in the United Kingdom.
The hemp that The Original Alternative uses to make their products is grown organically on small artisan farms all across Europe. The company’s original indica strains are all grown indoors in controlled environments. They use high-powered grow lights to ensure that they achieve the maximum possible yield and cannabinoid content. Their remaining three varieties (Blue, Green, and Purple), are grown outdoors in natural sunlight. The Blue and Green varieties are Cannabis sativa, while the Purple edition is a hybrid.
The Original Alternative uses CO2 extraction, under low heat and low-pressure conditions, to extract the oil it uses in their products. The CBD rich oil contains a full-spectrum of flavonoids, terpenes, phytocannabinoids, and essential fatty acids (Omega 3, 6, 9). Whole-plant products are generally considered to be more effective than CBD isolates.
The Original Alternative: Brand Highlights
The Original Alternative is committed to providing the highest quality extracts possible. Here is what we love about them:
- Growing-process: They understand how important the growing process is. All of their plants are grown using strictly organic methods – they don’t use any artificial fertilizers or pesticides.
- CO2 Extraction: All of the oils are derived using a CO2 extraction method. This process is one of the safest and cleanest ways to extract hemp oil. During production, they also use strictly organic ingredients to complement the whole plant extracts.
- Third-party Testing: Two independent companies test every batch of The Original Alternatives products. They use state of the art high-pressure liquid chromatography (HPLC) machines to ensure the extracts are of the highest quality.
- Return Policy: The company states on its website that all refunds are subject to the company’s discretion. They only offer refunds for unopened products within three months of purchase. There is also a three month warranty period for products that are defective or damaged.
- Social media presence: The brand is quite active on social media. They have a Facebook page and a Twitter account.
The Original Alternative Review: Negative Thoughts
We love almost everything about The Original Alternative. However, they don’t seem to offer free or discounted shipping on orders, regardless of how much you spend.
Most of the CBD companies that we review offer a shipping discount. Unusually, The Original Alternative doesn’t offer this perk. But who knows, maybe they will introduce it in the future?
“Started using the Green oil about six weeks ago and have had great improvement with psoriatic arthritis in my spine.”
The Original Alternative | Products
- CBD Oils: The Original Alternative sells two sativa-strain-derived oils – the Green and Blue editions. They also have two hybrid-derived oils: the Purple and Gold editions. Their indica strains include Silver, White, Black, and Red editions. Each of the products is available in quantities of either 10ml or 30ml.
- Capsules: The CBD Vegan capsules are available in Green, Blue, and Purple editions. The Green and Blue editions are derived from sativa strains, and the Purple is from a hybrid strain. They are available in quantities of 50mg, 100mg, or 250mg. The 50mg option contains 7mg of CBD per capsule. The 100mg has 14mg of CBD per capsule, and the 250 mg contains 35mg of CBD per capsule.
- Edibles: The edible products include chocolate bars (40g, 100g) and drinking chocolate stirrers. Consumers can choose between milk, dark, and white Belgian chocolate bars, which come in milk or dark mint, and milk or dark orange flavors. These bars are made from CBD sativa or indica whole-plant extracts infused with Belgian chocolate.
- Lotions: The lotions include CBD Balm (Hybrid), (30ml, 100ml), and CBD, whipped body butter (100ml). The balm is made by infusing stems, leaves, and roots from organically grown hemp and cannabis plants, together with organic coconut oil. The body butter is deeply moisturizing and ultra-light and makes for long-lasting skin hydration. Samples of these products are also available.
- Water Soluble: Comes in Aqua Plus (sativa) and Purple Plus (hybrid) editions. These products are for adding to a drink and contain 39mg and 40mg of CBD, respectively.
- Whole Plant Extract (paste): There is a Green edition, which is sativa-based, and a Purple edition, which is derived from a hybrid. The Green edition is available in 5, 10, 50, 100, and 1000ml options and contains 140mg of CBD per 1 gram of whole plant extract. Alternatively, the Purple edition comes in 3, 5, 10, 50, and 100ml options. It contains 164 mg of CBD per 1 gram of whole plant extract.
The Original Alternative | Costs
The Original Alternative has a wide range of products on offer. However, the prices vary widely, depending on what you order. Here is a rundown of the product prices:
- CBD Oils: The sativa oil prices range from £9.60 to £156.00 depending on flavor and quantity. The Purple Edition (hybrid) oil ranges from £26.40 to £71.40. The indica oil prices range from £42.00 to £648.00, with the largest option of the Black edition being the most expensive.
- Capsules: The Green edition capsules cost between £10.80 to £36.00, the Blue edition from £13.80 to £61.80, and the Purple edition from £16.80 to £75.30.
- Edibles: The edible products range in price from £7.20 to £24.60.
- Lotions: The CBD Balm prices range from £35.00 to £100.00, while the body butter is £54.00.
- Water-Soluble: The Green edition is £34, and the Purple edition costs £48.00.
- Whole Plant Extract (paste): The Green edition (sativa) prices range from £17.70 to £2,634.00, while the Purple edition (hybrid) ranges between £26.40 to £834.00.
“Great company, great staff, and great products. Changed my life around and given me hope living with advanced prostate cancer which doctors say is incurable.”
Final Thoughts on The Original Alternative Review
The Original Alternative is unquestionably in the top range of CBD-based product companies out there. The hemp they use is organically grown and is extracted using CO2 under low pressure and low heat conditions. They offer a wide range of CBD oils, capsules, lotions, topicals, and edibles, which gives the consumer plenty of choice.
This company is the longest trading CBD-based product company in the U.K. They are a reputable brand committed to providing their consumers with high-quality products. If you’ve been looking for CBD oil that’s available in the U.K., then check out The Original Alternative.